Contents: This page contains information on the following:
- Academic Experience
- Fellowships and Grants
- Honors and Awards
- Work in Progress
- Recent Presentations
- Courses Taught
- Professional Service
- Professional Membership
- Ph.D., Harvard University, History, 1991, Dissertation: "British Mountaineering, 1850-1914." Advisor: Simon Schama
- M.A., Harvard University, History, 1986
- B.A., Carleton College, History, 1984, magna cum laude
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Professor of History, 2014--; Associate Professor, 1998-2013; Assistant Professor, 1992-1998; Director of International Studies, 1995--; Advisor for Undergraduate Awards, 2002-2013.
- Durham University, Institute of Advanced Study, Visiting Fellow, Michaelmas Term 2018
- Harvard University, Minda de Gunzberg Center for European Studies, Visiting Scholar, 2005-2006.
- Australian National University, Humanities Research Centre, Visiting Fellow, 1998.
- Clare Hall, University of Cambridge, Visiting Fellow, 1995-1996.
- Lehman College, City University of New York, Adjunct Assistant Professor, 1991-92.
- Institute of Historical Research, University of London, Visiting Member, 1988-1990.
Fellowships and Grants
- Durham University, Institute of Advanced Study, Visiting Fellowship, 2018
- Fulbright Scholar, U.S.-France International Education Administrators Program , 2017
- WPI-Kern Entrepreneurial Engineering Network, Teaching Grant, 2015-2016
- WPI Teaching with Technology Fellowship, 2002-04.
- Australian National University, Humanities Research Centre, Visiting Fellowship, 1998.
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Fellowship for College Teachers, 1995-96, for research on the history of British mountaineering to 1953.
- Clare Hall, University of Cambridge, Visiting Fellowship, 1995-96.
- WPI Interface Discipline Initiative, Principal Investigator, International Studies, 1994-95, to develop a new, interdisciplinary program in International and Global Studies.
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Travel to Collections Grant, 1993, for research in London on the British Mount Everest Expeditions, 1921-1953.
- Krupp Foundation Fellowship in European Studies, Harvard University, 1988-89, for doctoral dissertation research.
- New York City Urban Fellow, 1984-85, to work for the City of New York.
Honors and Awards
- Walter D. Love Prize, North American Conference on British Studies, 2001. Awarded for the best article in any field of British studies published during 2000 to "Confetti of Empire: the Conquest of Everest in Nepal, India, Britain, and New Zealand," Comparative Studies in Society and History 42 (April 2000): 307-332.
- Fellow of the Royal Historical Society, 1997.
- Bowdoin Prize, Graduate Essays, Harvard University, 1991.
- Carleton College: Phi Beta Kappa; Distinction in History; Interdisciplinary Concentration in Political Economy; Honors in Independent Study, 1984.
The Summits of Modern Man: Mountaineering after the Enlightenment (Harvard University Press, 2013).
- ISBN: 9780674047990. HUP, Amazon, B&N, De Gruyter
- WorldCat, JSTOR Books
- Additional material for Summits of Modern Man at WPI Digital Commons (bibliography and image gallery)
- Interview on New Books in Sports
- Selected reviews of Summits of Modern Man: Times Literary Supplement (July 26, 2013, TLS cover and lead review; in French in Books janvier 2014); Los Angeles Review of Books (June 9, 2013); Nature (May 23, 2013); Financial Times (May 10, 2013); The Hindu (May 27, 2013); The Scotsman (June 1, 2013); NRC Handelsblad (August 30, 2013); History Today (October 2013); Sydney Morning Herald (November 2, 2013); Choice (November 2013); Australian Geographic (Nov/Dec 2013); Reviews in History (January 2014); Journal of Historical Geography 43:1 (Jan 2014); Journal of Ecocriticism 6:1 (2014); American Alpine Journal 56 (2014); English Historical Review 129:540 (October 2014); American Historical Review 119:4 (2014); Journal of Colonialism and Colonial History 15:3 (Winter 2014); Journal of Sport History 41:3 (2014); The International Journal of the History of Sport 32:2 (2015); The Canadian Geographer/Le Géographe canadien 59:1 (2015); Canadian Journal of History/Annales canadiennes d'histoire 50:1 (2015); Time and Mind 8:2 (2015); Society and Space (2015); Journal of Modern History 87:3 (2015); Isis 106:3 (2015); Journal of World History 27:1 (2016); Himalaya 38:1 (2018).
"Mountaineering in the Himalayas," in The Oxford Handbook of the Himalayas, edited by Amy Holmes-Tagchungdarpa, (Oxford: Oxford University Press, forthcoming 2022).
"Commercialization and Mount Everest in the Twentieth Century," in Rethinking Geographical Explorations in Extreme Environments: From the Arctic to the Mountain Tops, edited by Marco Armiero, Roberta Biasillo, Stefano Morosini, (New York: Routledge, July 2022).
"Wildest Dreams of Everest and Modern Mountaineering," Les Sports Modernes: Société, Culture, Temporalité, Territoire 1 (2022).
"Upland on Mont Ventoux," in Mountain Dialogues from Antiquity to Modernity, edited by Dawn Hollis and Jason König, (London: Bloomsbury Academic, 2021), pp. 215-227.
"Tool User: Hobnailed Boots," Alpinist 74 (Summer 2021): 24.
"Unsworth, Walt (1928-2017)," in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, online edn, edited by David Cannadine, (Oxford: Oxford University Press, January 2021). DOI:10.1093/odnb/9780198614128.013.90000380378
"Y is for Yak," in Animalia: An Anti-Imperial Bestiary for Our Times, edited by Antoinette Burton and Renisa Mawani, (Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 2020), pp. 213-218. DOI:10.1215/9781478012818-026
"Tragedy on the Matterhorn," BBC History (July 2015): 58-61. Online at History Extra magazine
"Founders of the Alpine Club (act. 1857-1863)," in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, online ed., edited by Lawrence Goldman. Oxford: Oxford University Press, October 2007. DOI: 10.1093/ref:odnb/96327 or Oxford Index
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, ed., H. C. G. Matthew and Brian Harrison, (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004):
- Bruce, Charles Granville (1866-1939), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/32130
- Conway, (William) Martin, Baron Conway of Allington (1856-1937), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/32536
- Coolidge, William Augustus Brevoort (1850-1926), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/32545
- FitzGerald, Edward Arthur (1871-1931), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/64675
- Hargreaves, Alison Jane (1962-1995), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/58208
- Hinchliff, Thomas Woodbine (1825-1882), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/13332
- Jackson [née Sanderson], Margaret Anne (1843-1906), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/64719
- Le Blond [née Hawkins-Whitshed], Elizabeth Alice Frances (1860-1934), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/52565
- Mallory, George Herbert Leigh (1886-1924), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/34847
- Mason, Kenneth (1887-1976), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/62246
- Mummery, Albert Frederick (1855-1895), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/19526
- Noel, John Baptist Lucius (1890-1989), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/59068
- Pigeon, Anna (1832-1917), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/50648
- Pugh, (Lewis) Griffith Cresswell Evans (1909-1994), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/56001
- Richardson, (Sarah) Katharine [Katy] (1854-1927), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/60153
- Smith, Albert Richard (1816-1860), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/25768
- Stark, Dame Freya Madeline (1893?-1993), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/38280
- Straton, (Mary) Isabella Charlet- (1838-1918), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/60154
- Tenzing Norgay [known as Sherpa Tenzing] (1914-1986), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/50064
- Weston, Walter (1860-1940), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/64678
- Whymper, Edward (1840-1911), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/36884
- Wills, Sir Alfred (1828-1912), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/52559
- Young, Geoffrey Winthrop (1876-1958), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/37073
"Why is there no subaltern studies for Tibet?" Tibet Journal 28:4 (Winter 2003): 7-22. Stable URL at JSTOR
"Georges Mallory et la masculinité," in Deux siècles d'alpinismes européens, origines et mutations des activités de grimpe, ed. Olivier Hoibian and Jacques Defrance, (Paris: L'Harmattan, 2002), pp. 135-46.
"Mallory et la masculinité," Cimes, L'Everest dans tous ses états, Groupe de Haute Montagne Annales 2002 (2002): 173-76.
"Ornamentalism and Orientalism: Virtual Empires and the Politics of Knowledge," Journal of Colonialism and Colonial History 3:1 (Spring 2002). doi:10.1353/cch.2002.0012 and Project Muse.
"Interdisciplinary Student Projects in Thailand," Tai Culture: International Review on Tai Cultural Studies 7 (June 2002): 176-7.
"Unofficial Notes on the Gates Cambridge Scholarship," National Association of Fellowship Advisors: the NAFA Newsletter 4 (March 2002).
"Coronation Everest: Empire and Commonwealth in the 'Second Elizabethan Age'," in British Culture and the End of Empire, ed. Stuart Ward, (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2001), pp. 57-72. Google Books (limited preview)
"Tibetan Horizon: Tibet and the Cinema in the Early Twentieth Century," in Imagining Tibet: Perceptions, Projections, and Fantasies, ed. Thierry Dodin and Heinz Räther, (Boston: Wisdom Publications, 2001), pp. 91-110. Google Books (limited preview)
"Modern Mountains: the Performative Consciousness of Modernity in Britain, 1870-1940," in Meanings of Modernity: Britain in the Age of Imperialism and World Wars, ed. Martin J. Daunton and Bernhard Rieger, (Oxford: Berg, and New York: NYU Press, 2001), pp. 185-202. Google Books (limited preview)
"Confetti of Empire: the Conquest of Everest in Nepal, India, Britain and New Zealand," Comparative Studies in Society and History, 42 (April 2000): 307-332. doi:10.1017/S0010417500002486 and Stable URL at JSTOR.
"Albert Smith, l'Alpine Club, et l'invention de l'alpinisme au milieu de l'ère victorienne," STAPS: Revue internationale des sciences du sport et de l'éducation physique vol. 21, n. 51 (Hiver 2000): 7-28.
"Partners: Guides and Sherpas in the Alps and Himalayas, 1850s-1950s," in Voyages and Visions: Towards a Cultural History of Travel, ed. Jas Elsner and Joan-Pau Rubies, (London: Reaktion, 1999), pp. 210-231. Google Books (limited preview)
"Debate: Tenzing's Two Wrist-Watches: the Conquest of Everest and Late Imperial Culture in Britain, 1921-1953, Comment," Past and Present 157 (Nov. 1997): 159-177. doi:10.1093/past/157.1.159 and JSTOR Stable URL
"Der tibetische Horizont. Tibet im Kino des frühen 20. Jahrhunderts," in Mythos Tibet: Wahrnehmungen, Projektionen, Phantasien, Kunst- und Ausstellungshalle der Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Bonn, with Thierry Dodin and Heinz Räther eds., (Cologne: DuMont Verlag, 1997), pp. 87-103.
"The Dancing Lamas of Everest: Cinema, Orientalism, and Anglo-Tibetan Relations in the 1920s," American Historical Review 101 (June 1996): 712-744. doi:10.2307/2169420 or JSTOR Stable URL. Reprinted in Alex McKay, ed., The History of Tibet, 3 vols. (London: RoutledgeCurzon, 2003).
"Vertical Boundaries, National Identities: Victorian Mountaineering on the Frontiers of Europe and the Empire, 1868-1914," Journal of Imperial and Commonwealth History 24:1 (1996): 48-71. doi: 10.1080/03086539608582968 Reprinted in John Marriott, ed., Routledge Historical Resources: Empire (Routledge, 2022)
"International Education and Sustainable Development: An American Experience in Bangkok, Venice, and Guayaquil,"" The Environmentalist 15, 4 (1995): 252-256. doi:10.1007/BF01902246
"Mountaineering," in Twentieth-Century Britain: an Encyclopedia, ed., F.M. Leventhal, (New York: Garland, 1995), pp. 536-537.
"Albert Smith, the Alpine Club, and the Invention of Mountaineering in Mid-Victorian Britain," Journal of British Studies 34 (July 1995): 300-324. doi:10.1086/386080, JSTOR Stable URL. Translated and reprinted, above.
Recent book reviews:
Review of Julie Rak, False Summit: Gender in Mountaineering Nonfiction (Montreal: McGill-Queens University Press, 2021), for Journal of the Austrian Association for American Studies 2:2 (2021) doi:10.47060/jaaas.v2i2.144
Review of Susan Barton, Internment in Switzerland during the First World War (London: Bloomsbury Academic, 2019), for American Historical Review, 126:2 (2021): 869-870. doi:10.1093/ahr/rhab315
Review of Martyn Lyons, The Pyrenees in the Modern Era: Reinventions of a Landscape, 1775-2012 (Bloomsbury Academic, 2018), for European History Quarterly 49:4 (2019): 699-701. doi:10.1177/0265691419877354i
Review of Daniel C. Taylor, Yeti: The Ecology of a Mystery (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2017), for Pacific Affairs 91:4 (December 2018): 832-834, online.
Review of Tait Keller, Apostles of the Alps: Mountaineering and Nation Building Germany and Austria, 1860-1939 (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2016), for Journal of Modern History (June 2017), 476-478. doi:10.1086/691514.
Review of Bernard Debarbieux and Gilles Rudaz, The Mountain: A Political History from the Enlightenment to the Present (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2015), The AAG Review of Books 4:3 (July 2016): 121-123. doi: 10.1080/2325548X.2016.1187488
Review of Ted Binnema, Enlightened Zeal: The Hudson's Bay Company and Scientific Networks, 1670-1870 (Buffalo: University of Toronto Press, 2014), American Historical Review 120:2 (April 2015): 610-611. doi: 10.1093/ahr/120.2.610
Review of Diana L. DiStefano, Encounters in Avalanche Country: A History of Survival in the Mountain West, 1820-1929 (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2013), for New Mexico Historical Review 89:4 (Fall 2014): 532-533. NMH Open Journals
Review of Fredrik Albritton Jonsson, Enlightenment's Frontier: The Scottish Highlands and the Origins of Environmentalism (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2013), for Environmental History 19:2 (April 2014): 399-401. doi:10.1093/envhis/emu017
Review of Ann C. Colley, Victorians in the Mountains: Sinking the Sublime (Burlington: Ashgate, 2010), for Victorian Studies 54:2 (2012): 334-336. doi:10.2979/victorianstudies.54.2.334 or Project Muse
Review of Gordon T. Stewart, Journeys to Empire: Enlightenment, Imperialism and the British Encounter with Tibet, 1774-1904 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009), for Journal of British Studies 49 (July 2010): 729-730. DOI: 10.1086/652257 or JSTOR
Review of Maurice Isserman and Stewart Weaver, Fallen Giants: A History of Himalayan Mountaineering from the Age of Empire to the Age of Extremes (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2008), for Journal of British Studies 48 (July 2009): 798-800. DOI: 10.1086/604789 or JSTOR
Review of Julie G. Marshall, Britain and Tibet, 1765-1947: a select bibliography of British relations with Tibet and the Himalayan states including Nepal, Sikkim and Bhutan, revised and updated to 2003 (New York: RoutledgeCurzon, 2005), in Himalaya 26 (2006 [publication May 2009]): 59-60. Digitalcommons (open access)
Review of Jonathan Finch and Kate Giles, eds., Estate Landscapes: Design, Improvement and Power in the Post-Medieval Landscape, Society for Post-Medieval Archaeology Monograph 4. (Woodbridge, Suffolk, and Rochester, NY: Boydell and Brewer, 2007), for H-Albion Discussion List in British and Irish History (February 2009). http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=23004
Review of W.B. Carnochan, The Sad Story of Burton, Speke, and the Nile; or, was John Hanning Speke a Cad? Looking at the Evidence (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2006), and Dane Kennedy, The Highly Civilized Man: Richard Burton and the Victorian World (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2005), for Journal of Colonialism and Colonial History 9:2 (Fall 2008). DOI: 10.1353/cch.0.0001
Review of Ian J. Barrow, Making History, Drawing Territory: British Mapping in India, c. 1756-1905 (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2003), in Journal of British Studies 45 (January 2006): 184-6. doi:10.1086/500882 or JSTOR
Book Reviews also in Journal of Historical Geography, International Labor and Working-Class History, Journal of Imperial and Commonwealth History, World History Bulletin
Work in Progress
Work in progress is devoted to several areas: commercialization on Mount Everest, masculinity and sports, Himalayas and empire, and environmental history.
Global School Virtual Event Series: EUROPE, Event co-host, and moderator for the panel "Outlook for European Business and the Global Economy Post-Pandemic," April 21, 2021. Program, and Watch: Youtube
"A Model for Global Project-Based Learning," QS Idea Snack Webinars with higher education professionals on leveraging international partnerships to help universities through the COVID-19 crisis, June 2020, Watch/Listen: Podcast
"COVID-19 IQP Project Presentations," May 2020. Watch: YouTube
"Making Up Mont Blanc, Enlightenment and the Anthropocene," Clark University, February 2020
"Returning Upland on Mont Ventoux," University of St. Andrews, December 2018
"Reflections on Masculinities and Mountaineering," Institute of Advanced Study Seminar, Durham University, December 2018
"Commercialization and Mt Everest in the Twentieth Century," Universita degli Studi di Milano, November 2018
"Everest: Climbers' Challenge or Commercial Venture?" Insitute of Advanced Study Public Lecture, Hatfield College, Durham University, November 2018
"A single, narrow, gasping lung: Everest without Oxygen 1978-2018," Cambridge Bodies and Food Histories Group, Cambridge University, November 2018
"Modernity, Empire and Commercialization in Mountaineering," Keynote address, Economic & Social Research Council Regional Conference for the North East & Northern Ireland Doctoral Training Partnership, Newcastle, November 2018
"The Oxygen of Publicity: Reinhold Messner and Everest since the 1970s," American Society for Environmental History, University of California, Riverside, March 2018.
"Tales From the Top: A Panel Discussion on the Commercialization of Mount Everest", Moderator, Museum of Science, Boston, February 5, 2018. Watch on Youtube
"How Everest/Chomolungma Became a Mountain," MIT Seminar in Environmental and Agricultural History, September 2017.
"Mountaineering and Empire: Debating the Commercialization of Mountain Tourism," Himalayan Studies Conference, University of Colorado, Boulder, September 2017.
"Commercialization and Mount Everest, Past and Present," St. Andrews University, November 2016.
"Commercialization and Well-being on Mount Everest," World Congress of Sociology of Sport/International Sociology of Sport Association, Paris, June 2015.
"Making Up Mountaineering and Enlightenment," Thinking Mountains 2015, Jasper National Park, University of Alberta, May 2015.
"Summits of Modern Man and Thresholds of Climate Change: Mountaineering after the Enlightenment," Social Science Baha, Kathmandu, April 2014. Lecture Series LXXIV, Audio: Baha Lecture Series Podcast
"The Everest Brawl and Political Subjectivities on Mount Everest," Himalayan Studies Conference, Yale University, March 2014.
"Summits of Modern Man and Thresholds of Climate Change," College of the Holy Cross, February, 2014; and Center for European Studies, Harvard University, September 2013.
"Mountains and Minds: Mountaineering after the Enlightenment," Montana State University, September, 2013.
"Mountaineering and the Sovereignty of Modern Man," ISSA World Congress of Sociology of Sport, Vancouver, June 2013.
"Summits of Modern Man: Mountaineering after the Enlightenment," Institute of Historical Research, London, May 2013. IHR History SPOT Podcast
"Courage and Science: the Politics of Remembering Saussure's Ascent of Mont Blanc during the Early Third Republic," Society for French Historical Studies, April 2013.
TeachingCurrent Courses Taught: see also courses and projects at WPI.
INTL 1100. Introduction to International and Global Studies
INTL 2100. Approaches to Global Studies
INTL 2510. Contemporary Europe
INTL 2910. Topics in Global Studies: Global Sports
INTL 3050. Global Re-entry Seminar
INTL 4100. Senior Seminar in International and Global Studies
HI 2324. The British Empire
HI 2921. Topics in Modern European History
HI 3341. Topics in Imperial and Postcolonial History
HU 3900. Inquiry Seminar on the History of Sports
HU 3900. Inquiry Seminar on Global Studies
Recent student projects:
- Lucas Falsarella Guerreiro, Christopher D. Ferrari, Gelila D. Hailemariam, William R. Schwend, "Coronavirus Stories-Capturing the Voices of College Students," co-advisors Bruce Bursten and Peter H. Hansen, Denmark/COVID Project Center, 2020, website, film, Digital WPI
- Erika Wentz, Peter Zollinger, Patrick Macaulay, Zachary Newlon, "Analyzing the Effectiveness of Remote Laboratories at WPI," co-advisors Bruce Bursten and Peter H. Hansen, Denmark/COVID Project Center, 2020, Digital WPI
- Nicholas Boggiano, Olivia Lattanzi, Megan McCoole, "Transitioning During COVID-19: Student Perspectives," co-advisors Bruce Bursten and Peter H. Hansen, Denmark/COVID Project Center, 2020, website, Digital WPI
- Akshaj Balasubramanian, Alexander Bell, Sophia Henehan, Caroline Johnson, "Increasing Public Awareness of MemoClock to Assist the Elderly in Social Isolation During the COVID-19 Pandemic," co-advisors Bruce Bursten and Peter H. Hansen, Denmark Project Center, 2020, Digital WPI
- Johnny Kimeng Chea, Caroline Ann Kuhnle, Sydney Elizabeth Messey, Bryce Luke Wade, "Creating a Sustainable Business Model for Open-Source Trishaw Designs," co-advisors Bruce Bursten and Peter H. Hansen, Denmark Project Center, 2020, Digital WPI
- Eric Himebaugh, Robert Ciotti, Rebecca Serven, Robert Starr, "Assessing the Feasibility of Chemical Recycling in Copenhagen," co-advisors Bruce Bursten and Peter H. Hansen, Denmark Project Center, 2020, Digital WPI
- Ellen Clarrissimeaux, Sawnaz Shaidani, Emily Staknis, Jeremiah Valero Araujo, "Creating Methods for SINGA Lyon to Determine and Demonstrate their Impact," co-advisors Peter Hansen and Fabienne Miller, Lyon, France, 2019, Digital WPI. President's IQP Award Finalist, 2019
- Sonia Deodas, Annemarie Eastwood, Frankie Ann Schripsema, "Investigating the Patrimoine of Lyon, France, through the Lens of Social Media," co-advisors Peter Hansen and Fabienne Miller, Lyon, France, 2019, Digital WPI
- Kevin Boenisch, Kyle Coleman, Julia Gavelek, Megan Heinle, Peter Prygocki, "Investigating Development of a Mobile Application for ONLYLYON Ambassadors' Network," co-advisors Peter Hansen and Fabienne Miller, Lyon, France, 2019, Digital WPI
- Lauren Fleming, Keely Nistler, Sami Saif, Jack Tanny, "Bel Air Camp's Accompagnement Program: Evaluating and Addressing the Challenges of Lyon's Hardware Startups," co-advisors Peter Hansen and Fabienne Miller, Lyon, France, 2019, Digital WPI
- Helena Cohen, Danielle Felten, "Lyon, a Tattooed City," co-advisors Peter Hansen and Fabienne Miller, Lyon, France, 2019, Digital WPI
- Nathan Drewniak, Gabriel Entov, Kinsey McNamara, Chenggu Wang, "A Greener Venice: The Inventory and Reutilization of Green Spaces on the Giudecca Island," advisors Fabio Carrera and Peter H. Hansen, Venice Project Center, 2017, website; Digital WPI
- Griffin Bishop, Drew Ciccarelli, Kristen Dettloff, Christian Elzey, Matthew Schueler, Myles Spencer, Colin Willoughby, Jessie Ying, "Organizing and Visualizing 30 Years of Data Collection at the Venice Project Center," advisors Fabio Carrera and Peter H. Hansen, Venice Project Center, 2017, website; Digital WPI
- John Bonina, Sean R Cody, Michael Panicci, Katherine Smith, "Current and Potential Mobility in Venice," co-advisor Fabio Carrera, Venice Project Center, 2017, website; Digital WPI
- Benjamin Child, Victoria Mercouris, Kyle Richards, Harutyun Sadoyan, "Crowdfunding Heritage Restoration in Venice with Arti.City," advisors Fabio Carrera and Peter H. Hansen, Venice Project Center, 2017, website; Digital WPI
- John Cerce, Erick Moo, Samantha Smith, Charles Steele, "Leveraging Tourist Rentals to Make Housing Affordable for Venetians: A Feasibility Study of Casa Peota and Fairbnb," advisors Fabio Carrera and Peter H. Hansen, Venice Project Center, 2017, website; Digital WPI
- Joseph Crognale, Ari Elfenbein, Justin Korn, Benjamin Mart, "Developing a Comprehensive Proposal for Tourism Management in Venice," advisors Fabio Carrera and Peter H. Hansen, Venice Project Center, 2017, website; Digital WPI
- Evelyn Grainger, "Addressing Lake Gatun's Uncertainty: Deterministic and Flexibility in Engineering Design (FIED) Methods," International and Global Studies and Civil and Environmental Engineering MQP, advisors Peter H. Hansen and Aaron Sakulich, 2017.Digital WPI
- Brandon King, "Sustainable Development Practices for Lawmakers and Civil Engineers Internationally," International and Global Studies and Civil and Environmental Engineering MQP, Advisors Peter H. Hansen and Aaron Sakulich, 2017. Digital WPI
- Gyneth Campbell, "WPI & Diversity Competency: Developing an Inclusive and Diverse Community on Campus Creates Effective Engineers," advisor Peter H. Hansen, International and Global Studies MQP, 2017 Digital WPI
- Julie A Gagnon, Scott W Iwanicki, Daniel J Mortimer, Gisele C Trivino, "Creating Tourism Employment Opportunities for the Topnaar in the Namib Sand Sea," advisors Fabio Carrera and Peter H. Hansen, Windhoek, Namibia, 2016, website; Digital WPI
- Rebecca M German, Anton I Libsch, Jessica J Lord, Kyra D McNamara, "Assessing the Health and Wellness of the Workforce of Namibia: Analysis of Healthworks Wellness and Screening Surveys from Employees within the Private Sector," advisors Fabio Carrera and Peter H. Hansen, Windhoek, Namibia, 2016, website; Digital WPI
- Lucas W Chico, Elena R Conroy, Tapanont David Laovoravit, Emily J Martin, "Pathway to Self-Employment: Fostering an Entrepreneurial Mindset with Men on the Side of the Road in Katutura, Namibia," advisors Fabio Carrera and Peter H. Hansen, Windhoek, Namibia, 2016, website; Digital WPI
- Zoe O Eggleston, Debora B Lopes, Zhehao Zhu, Christopher J Zmuda, "Route-based Assessment on Major Roads in Namibia," advisors Fabio Carrera and Peter H. Hansen, Windhoek, Namibia, 2016, website; Digital WPI
- Christine R McCarron, Tim Alexander Petri, Steven Richard Souto, Shao Zhou, "Making the Walvis Bay Corridors Safer for Truck Drivers through a Dedicated Smartphone Application," advisors Fabio Carrera and Peter H. Hansen, Windhoek, Namibia, 2016, website; Digital WPI
- Tori H Claverie, Rachael Denielle Heard, Jacqueline Elizabeth O'Connor, Joseph S Sabatino, "Animating Biodiversity: Creating An Educational Film on Biodiversity for Secondary School Learners in Namibia," advisors Fabio Carrera and Peter H. Hansen, Windhoek, Namibia, 2016, website; Digital WPI
- Aidan Burn, Constantine B Scaperdas, Yigit Uyan, "Defining TransNamib's Engineering Future," advisors Fabio Carrera and Peter H. Hansen, Windhoek, Namibia, 2016, website; Digital WPI
Consulting and Television
Commentator, "Battle for the Himalayas: The Fight to Film Everest," BBC Four, Timeshift Series 14:4, January 29, 2015, See preview clips.
Historical Commentator for "The Misfit and the Matterhorn," a BBC Television program in the series on "Mountain Men: Tall Tales and High Adventure," 2000-01. Broadcast BBC2, May 31, 2001. Vimeo
Historical Consultant and Commentator, "Hillary and Tenzing: Everest and After," a BBC Television program in the "Reputations" series, produced by the BBC Documentary Department, 1996-97. The program was broadcast June 18, 1997 on BBC2, rebroadcast the History Channel. Youtube
Associate Editor, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, ed., H.C.G. Matthew, (Oxford University Press, 2004).
Editor, NACBS Forum on The Making of the Working British Historian, 2000.
Historical consultant to Massachusetts Foundation for the Humanities, for a discussion series at public libraries on "Desperate Journeys: True Stories of Endurance and Survival," 2000-2001.
Manuscript referee, proposal reviewer or promotion reviewer for a wide variety of journals, publishers, granting agencies and universities.
Academic Administration and Service
- Worcester World Affairs Council, Vice President, 2021--; Director, 2016--
- North East Conference of British Studies, President, 2005-2007. Vice-President and Program Chair, 2003-2005. Secretary-Treasurer, 1996-2001
- North American Conference on British Studies, Council (ex officio), 2006-2007, Webmaster, 1999-2003.
Service to Global Programs and Global Studies
- Director of International and Global Studies, WPI, 1995--. Responsible for an interdisciplinary major and minor in International and Global Studies.
- Copenhagen Denmark Project Center, WPI, Director, 2020--; Co-Director 2017-2020
- Lyon France Project Center, WPI, Co-Director 2018-2020
- Area Studies Working Group, 2019
- Global Impact Division Implementation Advisory Group, 2017-2018.
- Major and a Mission Group on Global Competency, 2015-2016
- Strategic Planning Pillar Team on Expanding WPI’s Global Reach and Impact, 2014-2015
Service to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- WPI Institutional Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Leadership Council, 2019-2021
- Co-Chair, Project Inclusion, Rubric Steering Committee, WPI, 2017-2018
Service for Revision of Faculty Promotion Policies
Other WPI Service
- Chair, Committee on Appointments and Promotion (2016-2017), Led three-year effort to change the policies for Promotion to Full Professor by broadening the criteria to include multiple forms of scholarship
- Co-Chair (with John McNeill) Task Force on Academic Promotion (2015-2016). Wrote report proposing modifications of promotion criteria, procedures, and mentoring
- Co-chair (with John Orr) COAP ad hoc committee on the COACHE Survey (2014)
Advisor for Undergraduate Awards, WPI, 2001-2013. Nominated students for nationally competitive fellowships and scholarships. WPI students received multiple Marshall, Goldwater, Rotary, Fulbright, Gates Cambridge, National Science Foundation Scholarships, Society of Women Engineers scholarships, and others.
WPI Department of Humanities and Arts service includes interim head, associate head, and department council, promotion, tenure, and search committees.
Past WPI service includes the Committee on Appointments and Promotions, Committee on Governance, Committee on Academic Policy, Undergraduate Outcomes Assessment Committee, Women's Programs Steering Committee, Presidential Commissions or Task Forces on the humanities and arts, first-year programs and general education, global initiatives, academic promotion, global competency and multicultural inclusion. Advisor for student groups including Alpha Phi Omega, the Outing Club, Debate Team, and others.
Other public service includes serving on boards for Wesley United Methodist Church, Boy Scouts of America, and Elm Park Center for Early Childhood Education.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Historical Association
- American Society for Environmental History
- Association for Asian Studies
- Association of Nepal and Himalayan Studies
- North American Conference of British Studies
- North American Society for Sports History
- Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers)
- Royal Historical Society
Peter Hansen's Homepage