CS 3041: Human-Computer Interaction
ScheduleReadings and pre-class activities are due before class. The content may be included in a quiz during class. Lecture notes will be posted after class.
Tues, Oct 22 | Introduction and Ideation
Friday, Oct 25 | Brainstorming & Storyboards
- Assignment 1 assigned
Tues, Oct 29 | Storyboarding & HCI
Fri, Nov 1 | Design Lifecycle
- Assignment 1 due before class
Tues, Nov 5 | Prototyping
- READ (7 pages) Rettig (1994)
- READ How to Prototype by Amy Ko
- READ (9 minutes) Why you should be prototyping (Rachel Binx, Netflix)
- READ (17 pages) The anatomy of sketching (Bill Buxton)
- Complete Prototyping pre-class activity
- OPTIONAL: Read (10 pages) Harrison, Horstman, Hsieh & Hudson, 2012
- Assignment 2 assigned.
Fri, Nov 8 | More Prototyping & Intro to Thinkalouds
- Lab 0 posted. Complete ASAP. No submission needed. (ungraded)
Tues, Nov 12 | Thinkalouds & Heuristic Evaluation
Friday, Nov 15 | Heuristic Evaluation
- WATCH (17 minutes): Scott Klemmer: Heuristic Evaluation - Why and How
- READ: Jakob Nielsen: How to Conduct a Heuristic Evaluation
- BRING TO CLASS: slides, mood board, prototype submitted for Assignment 2.
- Assignment 3 completed in class. Note: Bring your materials submitted for Assignment 2 to class.
- Lab 2 posted.
Tues, Nov 19 | Interviews & Interfaces on the Web
- Lab 1 due at 11:59pm.
Fri, Nov 22 | Lab Workshop
- Lab 2 due at 11:59pm.
Tues, Nov 26 | Evaluation Methods
Fri, Nov 29 | THANKSGIVING BREAK - No class
Tues, Dec 3 | Human Abilities
- Pre-Class Reading:
- READ (40 pages): Chapter 8: Interviews and Focus Groups
- READ (20 pages): Chapter 2: Experimental Research
- Assignment 4 due Wednesday, December 4 at 11:59pm.
Fri, Dec 6 | Accessibility & HCI Research
Tues, Dec 10 | READING DAY - No class
Fri, Dec 13 | Wrap up and Demos
- Assignment 5 due at 3PM (before class!).