Michael M. Sokal
Other Major Presentations
Last modified: Tuesday, 20 May 2003.
- "The Psychologist: A New Role in American Society and Culture, 1885-1916," American Psychological
Association, Chicago, IL, 1 September 1975.
- "Rationality and Reform: The Social and Behavioral Sciences -- The Origins of Experimental
Psychology in the United States as a Case Study," American Association for the Advancement of Science,
Boston, MA, 22 February 1976.
- "Anthropometric Mental Testing in 19th-Century America," Sigma Xi National Lecture, 1979-81.
- "Early American Mental Testing: Pre-1945 Roots of Current Controversy," Sigma Xi National Lecture,
- "Foreign Study Before Fulbright: American Students in European Universities in the 19th Century,"
Sigma Xi National Lecture, 1979-81.
- "The Man of Science and His Community: James McKeen Cattell and American Science," History of
Science Society, Philadelphia, PA, 29 October 1982.
- "Life-Span Developmental Psychology and the History of Science," 17th International Congress of
History of Science, Berkeley, CA, 7 August 1985.
- "James McKeen Cattell and Psychology at the University of Pennsylvania, 1883-91," Centennial
Celebration, Department of Psychology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 24 October 1987.
- "Phrenology as Popular Mental Testing in Antebellum America," 18th International Congress of
History of Science, Hamburg, Germany, 5 August 1989.
- "Gestalt Psychology in America in the Mid-1920s," International Workshop on "Gestalt Psychology:
Its Origins, Foundations, and Influence," Florence, Italy, 14 November 1989.