Subject: More physics education resources

From: "Koleci, Carolann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 13:51:37 -0500

Hi John,

Here's a biblio on some more physics education resources.  Please feel free
to let me know if you have questions.

Thank you,
Carol

1. McDermott, L. C., M. L. Rosenquist, and E. H. van Zee, "Student
difficulties in 
         connecting graphs and physics: Examples from kinematics", Am. J.
Phys. 55 (6),
         503 (1987).

2. Trowbridge, D. E. and L. C. McDermott, "Investigation of student
understanding of 
        concept of velocity in one dimension", Am. J. Phys. 48 (12), 1020
(1980).

3. Trowbridge, D. E. and L. C. McDermott, "Investigation of student
understanding of 
         concept of acceleration in one dimension", Am. J. Phys. 49 (3), 242
(1981).

4. Arons, A.,  A Guide to Introductory Physics Teaching (Wiley, 1990).

5. McDermott, L.C., P.S. Shaffer, and M. Somers, "Research as a guide for
curriculum
        development:  An illustration in the context of Atwood's machine",
Am. J. Phys. 
        62 (1) 46-55 (1994).

6.  Stocklmayer, S. M., and D.F. Treagust, "Images of electricity:  How do
novices 
        and experts model electric current?", Int. J. Sci. Educ.,  18:2,
163-178 (1996).

7.  MacMillan, III, C., and M. Swadener, "Novice use of qualitative versus
quantitative 
        problem solving in electrostatics",  J. Res. Sci. Teach.,  28:8,
661-670 (1991).

8.  Viennot, L., and S. Rainson, "Student reasoning about the superposition
of electric 
        fields",  Int. J. Sci. Educ.,  14:4,  475-487 (1992).

9.  Halloun, A., and D.  Hestenes, "The initial knowledge state of college
physics
        students",  Am. J. Phys. 55, 455-462 (1987).

10.  Thornton, R.K., and D.R. Sokoloff, "Learning motion concepts using
real-time 
        microcomputer-based laboratory tools", Am. J. Phys. 58, 858-867
(1987).

11.  McDermott, L.C., Millikan Lecture 1990:  "What we teach and what is
learned--
        Closing the gap", Am. J. Phys. 53 (2), 301-315 (1991).

12.  McDermott, L.C., Guest Comment:  "How we teach and how students learn--A
        mismatch ?", Am. J. Phys. 60 (4), 295-298 (1993).

13.   Inhelder, B., and J. Piaget, The Growth of Logical Thinking from
Childhood to 
        Adolescence (Basic Books, 1958).

14. Gentner, D., and A.L. Stevens, Eds. Mental Models (Lawrence Erlbaum
Associates, 
        1983). 

15. Collins, A., and E.E. Smith, Readings in Cognitive Science (Morgan
Kauffmann,
        1988).
	
16. Resnick, L.B., "Mathematics and science learning:  A new conception", 
         Science  220, 447-478 (1983).

17. Carey, S., "Cognitive science and science education", Am. Psych.  41, 
         1123-1130 (1986).

18. Driver, R., "Students' conceptions of the learning of science", Int. J.
of Sci. Ed.  11, 
         481-490 (1989).

19. McDermott, L. C., "Research on conceptual understanding in mechanics",
Physics
         Today 37, 24-32 (July 1984).

20. Mestre, J., and J. Touger, "Cognitive research-what's in it for physics
teachers?",
         The Physics Teacher 27, 447-456 (September 1989).

21. Fuller, R., "Solving physics problems-how do we do it?", Physics Today 35
(9),
          43-47 (1982).     

22. Gardner, H., The Mind's New Science:  A History of the Cognitive
Revolution 
        (Basic Books, NY, 1987).
	
23. Gardner, H., Frames of Mind:  The Theory of Multiple Intelligences 
        (Basic Books, NY, 1985).
	
24. McDermott, L. C., et al., Physics by Inquiry (John Wiley and Sons, NY,
1996). 
 
25. Laws, P., "Calculus-based physics without lectures", Physics Today 44
(12),
        24-31 (1991).

26. Laws, P., Workshop Physics (Vernier Software, Portland OR, 1995). 
 
27. Wilson, J., "The CUPLE Physics Studio", The Physics Teacher 32,
         518-529 (1994).

28. Sokoloff, D.R., and R.K. Thornton, Tools for Scientific Thinking  
         (Vernier Software, Portland OR, 1992 and 1993).  

29. Mazur, E., Peer Instruction.  A User's Manual (Prentice Hall, 1996). 
         
30. Van Heuvelen, A., ALPS:  Mechanics (Vol. 1), Electricity and Magnetism  
          (Vol. 2) (Hayden-McNeil Publishing, Westland MI, 1994).  

31. Heller,P., R. Keith, and S. Anderson, "Teaching problem solving through 
         cooperative grouping. Part 1:  Group versus individual problem
solving", 
         Am. J. Phys. 60 (7), 627-636 (1992).

32. Heller, P., and M. Hollabaugh, "Teaching problem solving through 
         cooperative grouping. Part 2:  Designing problems and structuring
groups", 
         Am. J. Phys. 60 (7), 637-644 (1992).

33. Ambrose, B.S., P.S. Shaffer, R.N. Steinberg, and L.C. McDermott, "An
investigation
        of student understanding of single-slit diffraction and double-slit
interference", 
        Am. J. Phys. (1998).

34. Wosilait, K., P.R.L. Heron, P.S. Shaffer, and L.C. McDermott, "Research
as a guide
         for the development and assessment of curriculum:  An example from
Light and 
         Shadow", Am. J. Phys. (1998).

35. O'Brien Pride, T., S. Vokos, and L.C. McDermott, "The challenge of
matching 
         learning assessments to teaching goals:  An example from the
work-energy and
         impulse-momentum theorems", Am. J. Phys. 66 (2) 147 (1998). 

36. Steinberg, R.N., G.E. Oberem, and L.C. McDermott, "Development of a
computer-
        based tutorial on the photoelectric effect", Am. J. Phys. 64 (11)
1370 (1996). 

37. Grayson, D.J. and L.C. McDermott, "Use of the computer for research on
student 
        thinking in physics", Am. J. Phys. 64 (5) 557 (1996).  

38. McDermott, L.C. and P. S. Shaffer, "Research as a guide for curriculum

        development.  An example from introductory electricity, Part I:
Investigation of 
        student understanding", Am. J. Phys. 60 (11), 994 (1992);  Erratum to
Part I, 
         Am. J. Phys. 61 (1), 81 (1993).

39. Shaffer, P.S. and L.C. McDermott, "Research as a guide for curriculum
development:
        An example from introductory electricity, Part II:  Design of
instructional 
        strategies", Am. J. Phys. 60 (11), 1003 (1992). 

40. McDermott, L.C., "What we teach and what is learned:  Closing the gap",
Am. J. 
        Phys. 59 (4), 301 (1991).

41. McDermott, L. C., "A perspective on teacher preparation in physics and
other
        sciences:  The need for special courses for teachers", Am. J. Phys.
58 (8), 734
        (1990).

42. McDermott, L. C., "Research and computer based instruction:  Opportunity
for
         interaction", Am. J. Phys. 58 (5), 452 (1990).

43. McDermott, L. C., "A view from physics", Toward a Scientific Practice of
Science
         Education, M. Gardner, J. Greeno, F. Reif, and A. Schoenfeld (Eds.),
Hillsdale,
         NJ. Lawrence Erlbaum, Inc. p. 3-30 (1989).

44. Lawson, R. A. and L. C. Mc Dermott, "Student understanding of the
work-energy
        and impulse-momentum theorems", Am. J. Phys. 55 (9), 811 (1987).

45.  Flam, F., "Sci-fi films a reality check in teaching physics", Times
Union Newspaper 
       (1998).

46. Rosenquist, M. L. and L. C. McDermott, "A conceptual approach to teaching

         kinematics", Am. J. Phys. 55 (5), 407 (1987).

47. Goldberg, F. M. and L. C. McDermott, "An investigation of student
understanding 
        of the real image formed by a converging lens or concave mirror", Am.
J. Phys. 55
        (2), 108 (1987).

48. Goldberg, F. M. and L.C. McDermott, "Student difficulties in
understanding image
         formation by a plane mirror", The Phys. Teach. 24, 472 (1986).

49. McDermott, L.C., M. L. Rosenquist, and E. H. van Zee, "Instructional
strategies to 
         improve the performance of minority students in the sciences", New
Directions for
         Teaching and Learning 16, 59 (1983).

50. McDermott, L. C. , "Teacher education and the implementation of
elementary 
         science curricula", Am. J. Phys. 44 (5), 434 (1976).

51. McDermott, L. C., "Improving high school physics teacher preparation",
Phys. 
         Teach. 13 (12), 523 (1975).

52. McDermott, L. C., "Practice teaching program in physics for future
elementary 
         school teachers", Am. J. Phys. 42, 737 (1974). 

53. McDermott, L. C., "Combined physics course for future elementary and
secondary
         school teachers", Am. J. Phys. 42, 668 (1974).

54. Smith, III, J. P., A. diSessa, and J. Roschelle, "Misconceptions
Reconceived: A
        Constructivist Analysis of Knowledge in Transition", J. Learning
Scientist 3(2),
        115-163 (1993).

55. diSessa, A., "Unlearning Aristotelian Physics: A Study of Knowledge-Based

        Learning", Cognitive Science 6 37-75 (1982).

56. Bransford, J. D., L. Zech, D. Schwartz, B. Rarron, N. Vye, "Fostering
Mathematical
        Thinking in Middle School Students: Lessons From Research", The
Nature of 
        Mathematical Thinking, R. J. Sternberg and T. Ben-Zeev (Eds.).
57. Meyers, D., Psychology, 1st ed. (Worth Publisher, Hope College, 1986).

58.  Schools using the Class Talk system include:  University of
Massachusetts,
         Harvard Medical School, Harvard Business School, Harvard Physics
Department,	
         The Ohio State University, Duke University, Clemson University,
United States
         Naval Academy, Carnegie-Mellon University, Kansas State University 
         (Manhattan), The Hong Kong University of Science, and Technology,
North
         Carolina State University, University of Chicago (Enrico Fermi
Institute), Arizona
         State University, University of Cincinnati, University of Wisconsin
(Milwaukee),
         California State University at Fresno, The University of Texas at
Austin, 
         Christopher Newport University, Pitts Community College (North
Carolina),
         Sandhills Community College (North Carolina), Northern Virginia
Community 
         College, The University of Texas at El Paso, and The University of
Michigan.
 
59. Chi, M., P. Feltovich, R. Glaser, "Categorization and Representation of
Physics 
        Problems by Experts and Novices", Cognitive Science 5, 121 - 152
(1981).

60. Hestenes, D., M. Wells, and G. Swackhamer, "Force Concept Inventory",   
        Phys. Teach.  30, 141 - 158 (1992).

61. Van Domelen, D., "Problem Solving Strategies: Mapping and Prescriptive
Methods", 
        The Ohio State University, Thesis (1998).

62. Richard Feynman's definition of physics from Superstrings: A Theory of 
         Everything, edited by P.C.W. Davies and J. Brown.

63. Redish, E. F., M. Saul, and R. N. Steinberg, "Student Expectations in
introductory 
        physics", Am. J. Phys.  66, 212 - 224 (1998).

64. Hardiman, P., R. Dufresne, and J. Mestre, "The Relation between problem 
        categorization and problem solving among experts and novices", Mem.
Cognit.,
        17, 627 - 638 (1989).

65. Eylon, B., and F. Reif, "Effects of Knowledge Organization on Task
Performance", 
        Cognition and Instruction 1, 5 - 44 (1984).

66. Larkin, J. H., and F. Reif, "Understanding and teaching problem solving
in  
        physics", Eur. J. Sci. Educ.  1:2,  191 - 203 (1979).

67.  Maxwell, S., H. Delaney, Designing Experiments and Analyzing Data
(Brooks/Cole  
          Publishing Company, California, 1989)

68.  Hays, W., Statistics, Third Edition ( Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New
York, 1981).

69. Reif, F., J. Larkin, and G. Brackett, "Teaching general learning and
problem-solving
         skills", American Journal of Physics 44, 212-217 (1976).

70. Leonard, W.,R. Dufresne, and J. Mestre, "Using qualitative
problem-solving 
         strategies to highlight the role of conceptual knowledge in solving
problems",
         American Journal of Physics 64, 1495 - 1503 (1996).

*********************************************************************** 
**************************************************************** 
Carol Koleci, Adjunct Assistant Professor 
WPI Physics Department 
100 Institute Road 
Worcester, MA 01609 
[email-masked] 
508-831-6018

..."music...must never offend the ear, but must please the listener, or in
other words must never cease to be music"...--Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart 
***********************************************************************
****************************************************************

-----Original Message-----
From: Goulet, John A. 
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 9:34 AM
To: Koleci, Carolann
Subject: physics education 

hi Carole

Would you have a few minutes when I could ask you some questions
about your perceptions of up to date physics education at the
secondary level?

WPI has a teaching methods course for students hoping to go
into high school teaching. There is a component in the course
specific to the area they want to teach, one of which is
physics.

I am trying to update the syllabus and could use your comments.

                   thanks!

                   John