Subject: RE: Davis Foundation/Bridging

From: "Johnson, Landy C" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:05:01 -0400

John,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I'm not here Fridays (I work part-time;
supposedly I'm writing my Ph.D. dissertation on Fridays but other things
keep happening!).   Unless you happen to be available on Monday, it would be
fine to just e-mail me the powerpoint presentation.

The materials I have on file here actually do show the bridging program as
having already begun.  It was a conversation with Dale Snyder that led me to
think otherwise, and that's why I decided I'd better check with you.

With regard to the Year 1/Year 2 timing, the timing follows the money.
Davis gave WPI the first $200,000 on April 21, 1999, and the second $200,000
payment arrived on July 3, 2000 (now in alignment with the fiscal year).
>From a program perspective, I think the 99-00 academic year was the first
year, and the 00-01 academic year is the second year.

What complicates the bridging program is that you apparently had National
Science Foundation funding for the program, and the Davis funding is serving
to extend/expand the program.  I don't have any information on the timing of
the NSF funding.

What the Davis people will be looking for is reporting on what was
accomplished with their money in academic year 99-00 (and I gather you
either have already done this reporting or it is in progress), and some very
general info on what new things will happen with the new influx of funds for
academic year 00-01.  Your presentation to the Davis trustees undoubtedly
covered the latter, but President Parrish wasn't there and he has to say
something about it in the letter I'm writing for him.  If you send me your
presentation then I should be up to speed.

Thanks for your patience with me!  Being the "new person" can be a pain in
the neck, but at least the job is getting more interesting each day as I
learn about all the exciting programs proposed and under way at WPI.

Landy

-----Original Message-----
From: John A Goulet [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2000 10:41 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Davis Foundation/Bridging

hi Landy

regarding bridge projects and Davis, I have been developing them since
the fall of 1997 and have done one or more each academic year.  

I am not sure why the reports you read indicated that no bridging had
occured yet. That could refer to one particular component or something - 
Art would know better than I  (yes, he is in every day - he is working
on the REU program).

The other thing I dont know is when Davis, Part One, ended and when
Davis, Part Two, began.

I have all the stuff from my presentation to the Davis people in a
Powerpoint presentation. Art did the outline, I filled in the details
and gave the talk.  You can either have the file to look at or
I can just give you the presentation. Your choice.

Friday is a good day for me - like noon or 1 pm.

                             John Goulet
                             Mathematical Sciences