Scientific English as a Foreign Language
Answers to Lesson of August 22, 1997
Borrow and Loan
Non-native speakers often get these confused. Remember them in the following way:
Note that the construction SUBJECT, VERB, IND. OBJ, DIR. OBJ is allowed for "loan" but forbidden for "borrow".
Here are some exercises:
1. I forgot my pen. Can you loan yours to me?
2. I forgot my pen. Can you loan me yours?
3. I forgot my pen. Can I borrow yours?
4. I forgot my pen. Can I borrow one from you?
5. In general, I always borrow pens from my colleagues.
6. And you always loan me yours.
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual
And charged to a reckless potential;
But a rascal named Ohm
Conducted her home--
Her decline was, alas, exponential.
Back to the index page.
Created May 12, 1998, by Nancy Burnham and Fred Hutson.