Details about the Application Forms for Guidance Recommendations
The Guidance Counselor should have advised the applicant this year
and will need to provide an official transcript, and any standardized
test scores. The Guidance Counselor recommendation form asks for the
Mass Academy Form B - Recommender (Guidance Counselor)
- Applicant name
- School name
- Your title (Mr., Mrs., Ms., Dr.)
- Your first name, last name
- Your phone number, email
- Subject and level of course(s) taught to student
- Additional acquaintance (duration and context)
- Information on current standing covering a period FROM:
mm/dd/yyyy, TO: mm/dd/yyyy
- Class rank and size (e.g. 12/250) Class rank in the top % Class
rankis weighted? Yes/No
- Cumulative GPA and scale (e.g. 3.8/4.0) GPA is weighted?
- Transcript - Please attach an official transcript that
includes completed and current courses. You may also include
copies of the PSAT, SAT, MCAS, PARCC, or other standardized test
scores, but we prefer you list them above. Only one PDF file may
be attached (which can contain multiple pages).
- Standardized test scores - Please provide us with any
standardized test scores the student received from grade 8 or beyond,
such as PSAT, SAT, MCAS, PARCC or other. List the test type and score
summary (not sub-scores). Paper versions of standardized test scores
can be scanned in and attached to the transcripts, although we prefer
you list the summary scores below. You may use the following text to
cut-and-paste as a template for editing. Delete any examples that do
PSAT 2018 EBRW = xxx, Math = xxx
SAT May 2018 EBRW = xxx, Math = xxx
SAT June 2018 Chem = xxx
MCAS 2018 ELA = xxx, Math = xxx
MCAS 2017 Bio = xxx
AP History May 2018 = xxx
- Compared to those of other students in his/her grade, the course
selections for this student are: Select Average, Above average,
Accelerated, The highest level available
- Which of the following courses will the student have completed by
the end of the current school year? Check all that apply; A U.S.
History course or equivalent, A full-year course in Algebra II, A
full-year course in Chemistry
- Provide the number of times the student was absent, tardy, and
dismissed for the past two years:
- Disciplinary History - Has the applicant ever been found
responsible for a serious disciplinary violation at your school, or
been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony? If yes, then we will
contact you to fill-out a separate form.
- The following questions ask the recommender to rate the applicant
using checkboxes in each of the categories listed, where the checkbox
options are; No Basis, Below Average (bottom 50%), Average (top 50%),
Good (top 25%), Excellent (top 10%), One of the best (top 1%):
List a few words to describe this student
How strongly do you recommend this student to the Academy?
Written Evaluation - Critical factors for success at Mass Academy
include meeting deadlines, working collaboratively, and handling
long-term projects. Please provide a candid recommendation for the
applicant, containing specific facts and anecdotes in sentence or
bullet format that addresses at least a few of the following
questions. You may word-process and paste text from another document.
character maximum including spaces, approximately 500 words)
- Academic Achievement
- Extracurricular Accomplishments
- Personal Qualities and Character
- How does the applicant approach and apply new and difficult
- How was the applicant able to work effectively and respectfully
with those of different perspectives and abilities?
- What motivates the applicant academically or personally?
- Has the student demonstrated a willingness to take intellectual
risks and go beyond the normal classroom experience?
- What will you remember most about this person in terms of
his/her resilience, perseverance, or grit?
- Can you elaborate on any ratings you selected above that are
notably higher or lower than the overall rating?
Information last updated: 11/30/2018